Unhooked riding with punch-up bar
Posted: 21 April 2006 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-04-21

Is there a recommended way to set up a leash with the punch-up bar, so that you can unhook to do some simple wakestyle tricks, like a raley?

I am guessing that the “Optional Trim loop leash attachment point (advanced riders only)” would be used for this.

Thanks,
Jamie S.

Posted: 23 April 2006 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-21

Just curious, what happens when you drop your bar, in this configuration?
I am guess the kite will go into “100% depower”... but where does it go?

I guess my real main question is, is it safe, or could this lead to trouble having both of the front lines loaded.

The bar’s manual says, “We recommend using the front line leash”, and leave it at that. There’s no further mention of alternate leash setups for the One (just for C kites).
The Punch-Up photo-sequence on the other hand, shows no leash at all!
What’s a guy to think!

Thanks,

Jamie

Posted: 24 April 2006 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-01-18

I’ve been doing some unhooked riding, and it works pretty well.  I leash it just to the chicken loop d-ring, and leave the upper stopper pretty loose.  When you release the kite to leash, the bar blows through the stopper, the kite fully depowers, and within a few seconds it flies off to one side and hits the water.  No problems.  You can even adjust the cam cleat while you’re unhooked - that’s handy sometimes.  You’re probably safer leashing to a single front line, but I’ve had no problems at all with the chicken loop leash.  Sometimes when I loose the bar I can haul it back on the leash before I even stop planing.

With the huge depower on these things though, you don’t really need to let go of the bar.  I’ve been walking over reefs, lava rocks, walking out on breakwaters flying my One, and feeling very comfortable - when a gust comes, I just sheet out a bit further, no big deal.  Easier on the feet too - no more getting dragged over the reef when I’m trying to make my way out at low tide.

Posted: 24 April 2006 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-21

Thanks guys!
This thing sounds pretty sweet.

Jamie.

‹‹ Ocean Rodeo Rep in Ontario      Mako Review ››