What size SUP is good for a 1st timer?
Posted: 12 April 2008 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I keep seeing Richard getting these SUP sessions on the global log, and I’ve got a hankering to get in on some of this stuff. I thinking I should focus more on a distance SUP for these inland waters more than a pure wave SUP.
Any suggestions on whats out there for a 200lb’r?

Thanks! 8)

Posted: 12 April 2008 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-03-29

==

Posted: 13 April 2008 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Thanks for the perspective bigkahuna!
Yea, theres alot’a choices out there right now for SUP’s, even an inflatable one. They are spendy too!
I’ve heard it can be a real workout, so I think I’m going to take the plunge and hook up with one of these this spring.
Go wide! 8)

Posted: 21 May 2008 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

Hey Craig,...sorry I missed your post on SUP,....did you get a board / paddle?

Posted: 22 May 2008 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-03-13

Hey Craig,

I just started into the SUP as well, became a Jimmy Lewis dealer. It is an awesome sport and incredible workout. I’d recommend the JL 11ft All Around. It’s a nice stable board, easy to paddle, and it works well in the surf too. The JL wooden paddle is pretty good too especially if it is being used for flat water cruising mostly, and it’s much cheaper than a carbon ones. The carbon blades are sharp and can really ding up the rails of your board when learning. If you plan on travelling a lot, go for one of the ULI inflatable boards. I’ve never ridden one, but have heard good things.

Cheers
Terry

Signature 

Big Tide Paddle Surfing
Standup paddleboards, Jimmy Lewis, and DaKine dealer
Ocean Rodeo drysuits
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.bigtidepaddlesurfing.com

Posted: 22 May 2008 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Hey thanks for the follow up replies you guys!
I have not bought one of these yet, but I have had a chance to borrow someones 12 footer and wow, I thought I was in pretty good shape…but this upright paddling is a total work out right to your core muscles!
I had this spiritual feeling that came over me too.
Just like the first time I telemark skied….this feeling like I’ve done this before in another life and in another time. When I stopped focusing on my form, and let the feelings guide my actions…then it all began to flow and I found this wonderful rythm and cadence to the stroke.
Standing up, surrounded by liquid transparency and moving to the motion of the stroke and wave energy is a cleansing experience.
All the stress from this multi-task modern life we live in faded away…
SUP is really cool! 8)

I’m gonna check out those Jimmy Lewis boards more closely, I’ve had very good experiences demo’n his kiteboards…he is a true waterman.

Posted: 22 May 2008 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

I’m thinking of scrubbing off the 1984 12’2” F2 lightening thats leaning against my house ... Buying a longer dowel for the plastic canoe paddle. Loading up the roof rack & heading out with my 42 pound stand up paddle board !!!  8) Maybe I should carry around my mast/boom/sail & rediscover long boarding ?  Oh (the coffee is kicking in now folks) & here is the latest in ‘Tow in’ :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0fsgmktOY

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 22 May 2008 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

I’ve used about 10 different boards (lengths and shapes) over the last 3 years, and have settled on a 10’2” as my all around board.
I’ve tried converting an old 9 foot slalom windsurf board for high performance SUP,..but the tail rocker is too flat. ( sorry JL)
The surf industry has spent years refining long board rocker lines,..the rail shape and rocker are critical when your holding the high line trying to make a critical section on big wave!

I’ve found a 12’ board is faster with its longer water line than say a 10’. They also track better making for less “S” turns while paddling. In the waves 12’ is more board to throw around,..but a good shape can still surf really well. The only negative in surf for a big 12’ board is the nose “throws” you back when punching through white water. A 9’ or 10’ is much better for paddling out, the shorter nose seems “punch” in the foam, rather than throw back.
The smallest board I currently use with limited control is a 9’ quad fin. Really fun is smooth clean waves,..but very unstable in any chop. 
I think for your first board,...get a stable board with a proven surf shape. If you go too small, you’ll get frustrated (especially in the surf).

My conclusion thus far: SUP in surf 10’. Flat water: 12’.
A good allrounder may by 11’.
( I weigh 195 )
Some great websites on SUP:
http://www.supsurfmag.com
http://www.gongsup.com
http://www.c4waterman.com

Posted: 22 May 2008 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Thanks Richard ... I might try an old Hyper-tech knock off (Wallyboard) ... Do you prefer a long kayak paddle ?

Signature 

Posted: 23 May 2008 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-03-13

Hey JL go with a standup paddle, I’m 6’1” and I use an 81” paddle. Jimmy Lewis has wooden ones that aren’t a bad price, one of the cheapest I’ve seen. $199.00. They make paddling much easier, I can’t imagine using a canoe paddle, even a long one would be too short. My 2 cents anyway.

Signature 

Big Tide Paddle Surfing
Standup paddleboards, Jimmy Lewis, and DaKine dealer
Ocean Rodeo drysuits
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
http://www.bigtidepaddlesurfing.com

Posted: 23 May 2008 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Thanks Fundy kite ... Demo days Sat. May 24 @ Qualicum (Van. Is.)    http://www.islandlongboards.com/news/display.php?subaction=showfull&id=1208893241&archive;=&start;_from=&ucat;=&

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2009 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-09

Any updates on this thread? seems to me this has been inactive for a while. Think this topic should be closed by now.

Regards,
rapiless
Disque dur multimedia

‹‹ sunday swell      Drysuits for surfing ››