Skim kiteboarding

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hey Guys,
        I just moved to the Eastcoast of Canada for several months due to work.  The wind can be light and during high tide the kite beaches here have some great shallow water (knee height depth) and would be great for skim kiteboarding.

I am thinking about getting a skimboard to use with my ‘08 12m RISE or 8m RISE during the ligher wind days.  Just wondering if there any riders with experience on these things and if you have any recommendations with regard to skimboard size?

Cheers Justin

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

either a nobile, crazyfly.. or the biggest non kite skim you can find.

its such good fun it makes light wind well worth it.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-03-27

PM

hey j_dog. I’m in the area. Took up the skim last season at the beach in mention ( i’m guessing stoney ). Lots of fun especially at this spot. I’ve just used a cheapo $30 board from wal-mart. It’s all you need, and with the currents on that beach i’m fine with loosing a $30 board. Lots of fun in the river too.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

I’ve been using a skimboard for a few years now and really the only advice is to go with one that is a bit bigger.  I ride the cabal 51 and they have a smaller one as well but it is amazing how much just a little bit of length can make in lighter winds.  Also, the board I ride has no fins so requires a bit more ‘awareness’ when using it as it is a bit slippy.  I tried the shinn skimboard last year and it has small fins on it that make it track really well but for shove-its and spins etc… you have to force it a bit more.  That’s really all you need to consider.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thanks guys for the advice, really looking forward to getting some skim kiting in this season. 

Tracstarr, ya it was Stoney’s beach and the river that looked pretty sweet for skimming.  I’ll see ya there.

Thanks, Justin

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard