1st real session on a 14m Diablo
Posted: 20 April 2006 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

This is actually the 2nd time I’ve flown this kite, the first time was just too unreal to write about. (surviving in storm winds of 20 to 35 with the front lines on the mid pigtail and mid knot) I bought this kite to sail at Jetty Island, a place north of Seattle in the town of Everett. Afternoon winds like clockwork of 16, building to 20 plus is the norm there, with winds so steady and horizontal you can feel the turbulance in your control bar from a kiter passing upwind of you.
We had winds in that range today at Carkeek Park, a spot less than a mile from my house in Seattle, 16 with gusts to 20. This time I put the kite on the rear most pigtails and on the farthest knots-full power.
I’m a big guy- 200lbs, and was riding a borrowed Caution missing link.
I still wasn’t prepared for this.
I had to pull the de-power strap all the way down just to keep my butt on the water and not blow out my edge! Holy crap! I still can’t believe that this is the same kite I took in 30 plus. It is a completely different animal when you move the attachment points. There were 4 other riders on the water, all using Rhino 4 and 5’s, 16m kites. None of them were even close to being overpowered, and none of them were able to jump and go upwind like me.  How can this be? How can a 14m kite be more powerfull than a 16m in these winds? How the heck did I survive on the water in storm winds with 8 and 10 meter kites? I was hoping this review would be easy, but instead I feel like somebody has slipped me some drug. I am forced to come to terms with a new reality.
This reality is that the Diablo is not like any kite I’ve ever flown. More tune-able than any kite I’ve ever flown, and more likely to knock your socks off and make you look like a supernatural kiter than any kite out there. I am more stoked than I have ever been before because of it too.
I am so looking forward to the next session! Maybe I’ll be able to think more clearly then.
Thanks Mr. OR designer guy dude bro man, this is one devilishly sweet, kick ass foil!

craig in seattle

Posted: 21 April 2006 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Ross Harrington (o.r. designer) is a wizard…....p.s. Just wait until you strap on the MAKO Craig !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 24 April 2006 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

I’d like to officially designate the front pigtail closest to the rear of the kite on the diablo as the “monster truck” setting. If you want to get the most low end possible out of this beast, this is the one. It limits the amount of depower possible, but in lite winds thats not the issue, being powered is.
The middle pigtail to the front lines is where the magical depower begins, even at the furthest knots. If the wind is gusty at all, like it was this weekend in Seattle, this is where you want to set it. You still get the low end of the monster truck, but with the depower needed to handle a gust or throw the kite into a down loop or up loop. That front most pigtail, that must be for riders a lot lighter than me, (200lbs) I can’t imagine needing that much depower, unless I’m using this kite on land or snow- then it is going to come in really handy. Amazing, this kite does it all.
Oh I almost forgot.
The rear pigtails. The rear most pigtail makes this kite pivot on a wingtip instantly, advanced riders will love this setting. The next pigtail, the one closest to the front smooths out the turning speed, but not the ability to pivot- if you crank it, it still turns on a dime. I like this setting, you can focus on riding and not worry about small movements sending the kite somewhere while you do a grab or get hit in the face by spray.
Hope this helps other Diablo owners and wannabe’s with the tuning of this kite! You won’t be dissapointed!

Posted: 15 May 2006 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

gellin

:shock: This Diablo 14 is blowing my mind man.  :shock: I was out in butter smooth 23 knots today, with the kite set at the mid pig and the longest knots. I had to sheet in about 75% to find the sweet spot. (so, I maybe should have shortened the pigtail a knot, maybe two)
Its unbelievable how this kite can turn so fast and still be one of the smoothest tracking kites I’ve ever jumped. Its like the Lamborgini, its going to make the blood rush to parts of your body like you’ve never felt it before. Power strokes are really special because of the vertical lift and outstanding clean smooth glide. Its just hard to believe this is the same kite that can throw me 30 feet up like a rail gun with only finger tip input then gently fly across the center of the window a few feet off the water while I slash the shorebreak, depowered and awaiting my input.
I picked up a mako tonite from my mail box, I wonder what these two together are going to do? The boards I’ve been using are a bit slow, and I’ve had to hold back on speed to stay in control.
  :twisted: This kite is fast. :twisted:

Posted: 19 May 2006 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Yesterday I tried a new power stroke with this kite. I threw the kite back and up like I normally do for a vertical lift, then just before the kite reaches the apex- I threw it into a loop. I flew up, then downwind, for a hot smooth landing with no twisty torque at all!
This was also my 1st session with a new blue mako. The concave allowed me to set an edge and point high.  Being able to point high gives you a lot of options and jumping becomes a real joy. This board is super smooth and fast. The smoothness makes the speed this kite can generate very easy to handle. I was able to go so fast that the apparent wind began to make my flying lines sing!
I think I am just begining to learn what this combo can do, and its a very, very good match. I love it! :D

‹‹ MAKO      Ocean Rodeo Rep in Ontario ››