Kite Maintenance

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Just like a motorcycle, a pair of skis or a beautiful woman your kite needs to be properly maintained to be fun to ride.

Below are some regular maintenance tips to keep your kite in good working order!

Check your line lengths

This is one of the simplest things you can do to ensure you continue to enjoy riding your kite. Heavy load on the front lines will stretch them out over time. Likewise, intermediate riders often loop their kite in the same direction each time and will find one steering line becoming longer than the other.

- Peg your lines off to a fence post or into the ground. Be sure to remove or ignore the kook proof connectors when you do so.
- Run the lines out and put the bar to full power (trim line all the way out, chicken loop tight to the bar)
- Looking down the lines you should see all 4 lines the exact same length. If the 2 front lines or one outside line are bowed you need to adjust your line lengths to compensate for the stretch
- Slide the outside bar floats up the outside lines and use the hidden knots to adjust the relative length of the outside lines to ensure all 4 lines are the same.
** Some riders will even go so far as to swap the inside lines for the outside lines to stretch them out too. If you do this, be sure to set your bar up with all lines being equal as this will, initially, result in longer outside lines if you are not careful

Check your trim line

The center trim line is a line that is exposed to wear and tear. If you are on a very sandy beach this line should be replaced every 3 months, or as soon as the signs of wear become obvious. On less sandy beaches you can usually get away with 6 months of use. Bottom line, if the trim line is worn out replace it!

Check your pulley line

Your kite has a pulley either on the kite (2007) or on a floating front line (2008 and forward). It is important that the line that runs through this pulley is in good condition. Signs of wear should be a first indication of the need to replace the line. Having one of these lines snap while riding sucks.

Another issue with the 2008 pulley lines was discussed here . It involves the knots on the pulley line slipping and adding roughly a 1/2” of trim to the kite.

Experiment with the attachment settings

Your Rise kite comes with 4 bridle attachment options. Experiement with each to learn its characteristics and to make a decision as to which is best for you.

Click here for an interactive diagram showing the settings and their explaination.

As a bench mark, many riders I know like setting 4 the best. Fastest turning, most depower.

Clean your gear

Rinsing your equipment after every session is a good idea, particularly the bar and line sets. Salt and sand can chafe your kite in the bag and will stiffen and break down your bar’s lines, etc. Give all your equipment a quick hose down after each session and it will last much longer!

Any questions? Just ask!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Talking to Ross H. (O.R. design Guru) he pointed out ‘stretched E-2 spectra rope’ significantly changes the handling dynamics of RISE kites. This change in length is NOT compensated for by adjusting front (or rear !!!) line length .The link re E-2 length no longer exists ... I would like to see a grid that shows the desired length of e-2 ( the spectra rope your pulley rides on) for the RISE 2007 - 2010 all sizes ... Thanks   ... Mean while: Use the spare E-2 line that ships with 2009/2010 RISE to measure your E-2 & adjust accordingly !!! I found all my kites required a simple overhand knot @ the end of each E-2 rope to bring them back to spec.

Image Attachments

E2 line length.png

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

KevinM - 08 December 2009 10:28 PM

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

What would the E2 measurements be for the 2009 and 2010 Rise kites? Mine are worn on the 8m 2009 and 12m 2010. I don’t have spare ones as I bought the kites used. Thank you for the help.

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

I would still love to get all the measurements for the 12m Rise 2010. My kites pulls to the right and needs correction with more left hand pull. Read other posts but could not locate the problem. I’d like to measure all the bridle to make sure they are correct. Also, I bought the kite used so I want the original measurements to rule out somebody fiddled with it.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

@ Daspi,
I have had a similar issue with a 2008 14m, this was a great kite until Portuguese Atlantic swell ate it. I went as far as suspecting the fabric to have stretched, since after measuring all lines in both bar and bridle scrutinously the kite kept flying assymetric.
I took it to a repair guy and he found one of the stitches of the venturi flaps was gone. He fixed it and after that the kite flew like new.

It was one of these 5cm stitches:

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

@elrudo

I checked carefully and no damage to the ventury can be found. I checked the bridal lines too, seems to be all same length. There was maybe 1/8” of difference in the line where the pulley slides.  I readjusted the knot at the end and I will report back after next session. I hope it is not a stretched out kite. It’s a 2010 and little used. It get’s very annoying the constant pulling to the left. Especially when fully loaded.  So let’s hope for the best. Thanks for the tips so far.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Daspi,
that’s good and bad news, as in nothing torn. Did you check the flying lines on the bar? Especially the front lines should be exactly the same length.

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

Yes, and this bar works perfect with another kite I use it for. No pulling, just with the Rise 12m.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

That’s too bad. I’m out of ideas for ya.
Anyone?

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

Just came back form another session with the 12m. It is as I posted last. Pulling more to the left (posted initially right, sorry). Shortened my right front line a bit to see if it does the trick. As I only shortened 1/4 in I think the swivel self adjusted for the uneven lines and I did not really notice a difference when I went back out. I rolled out the kite this morning in my drive way and measured all bridal lines. All seems to match up. I come to the frustrating conclusion that I have an almost new kite that is ether already stretched out or was uneven stitched together to give me this uneven flying characteristic. All panels and materials look like new.

Are there any bridal mods for this kite that I could try to see it it affects this behavior?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

mmm… does your kite have different attachment points on the LE? If so, check if left and right are on the same setting. If not, check if the position of the attachment points are symmetric. In that case, OR can tell you where these should be/which side is correct.

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

No different attachment points as it is a 2010, but I will check if they are attached the same manner, meaning larks knots the same way to the loop on the kite. I believe they are the same way but I’ll re- check.

Moderately powered this is not so bothersome but on full power or a bit over powered it is very obvious and very bothersome. Glad for all the tips here but I think I just need to go with it and think about buying a different kite for next season. Shame, love my OR kites otherwise.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

sorry Daspi, last attempt: the bridle attachment point, is it located along the LE symmetrically? I.e. measured from the tip, tape ruler along front side of LE…
It’s hard to believe the whole canopy is build skewed, if it were one panel it would show as it would wrinkle, that why I’m suspecting bridles and lines.

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

Measured and all seems fine. Can not figure it out. I guess we are at the end of our wisdom.  Appreciate the support but still disappointed. I’ll have an experienced friend of mine fly the kite and see if he notices it too. Just to rule it out that it is just me…

Joined 2011-04-24

PM

“Experiment with the attachment settings” demonstration link above no workie.
Please post 2009, 2010 and 2011 bridle lengths if it is important to check.
Thanks.