MAKO

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

yes, I like it.
The Mako seems to be in a class by itself. A high performance cruiser, wave machine that easily eats up the kind of messed up water we get around here- short period, wind driven chop. I also think the way it cuts loose is special too- without feeling like you are on ice,  a smoothness…
maybe its the edges or concave or something…I don’t care. I could really throw my hips forward and take on speed with this design. It tracks so well… it was easy to pick and choose my ramps and carve hard upwind for max lift during a power stroke.
Feels like a lite board on my feet too. A real sweet and easy rider that can fly like hell. :twisted:
8) I like it. 8)

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

It’s a good thing !!! I’m glad It lived up to the hype !

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Yea, I knew it wouldn’t dissapoint you Craig, awsome that you r having a great time down there!

Signature

Airtime, its all bout the airtime

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Mako session #2 :twisted: - winds 14 to 18 knots, 14m Diablo, 200lbs.
Front lines on the mid pig/ longest knots. Rear on the slower settting.
1 to 2 foot chop, a few waist high waves near shore over the sand banks.
Am I wrong in saying this Mako/Diablo combo is more like a windsurfing feel than any kite surf combo I’ve ever used before? The way this board gets on a plane allows you to really get some speed up, then keep that speed with little sheeting movements on the control bar just like the small movements on a windsurfer control boom.
Maybe thats always been there and I’ve never gone this fast since I windsurfed too. Its that aparent wind thing that only scientists understand and we sailors sort of feel. It sure makes for some hanging air time and both the flicker loops and the long slow loops for carving transitions. There were 5 other kiters out, 4 on R-5 16m’s and one on a 18m R-6.  The 18m and I owned the high ground and could out point everyone else easily for some reason. This board feels so natural, I haven’t leashed it or lost it for about 5 hours of riding over its first two sessions… we are one. I’m naming her Moon Goddess, yes.. Mako the moon goddess loves to cruise over the short period knee knockin chop of puget sound like a flip tip bump and jump gorge board- no problem man. Just point and hang on. Want to switch, you can do it with little or no hop… or snap upwind into a wave and send it across the water with a grab easy as pie. Sweet. :wink:

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I was out for a rare w-surf session today on my Tiga 257 (plastic fantastic) & it rides just like my ‘Mako’...I agree with Craig. Sure you can go fast on any board but the Mako gives you the confidence to ride fast all day long. (Nice name for your board Craig !)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I’m leaving on a surf safari on the oregon coast this sunday. While putting my gear together I had to deal with the issue of what board to bring.  My caution missing link is great in the waves, but is a bit heavy and needs to be ridden with your weight back for upwind bite.  My underground is sweet and loose but can loose a shallow edge at speed The only board I need to bring is the mako.  Its sticky and loose at the same time, and lite on the feet.  You can center your stance and rip over the nastiest chop then rip a turn any where you want. I can’t wait to throw this beauty across some ocean energy. Its going to give me a lot of options.
Moon goddess here we go…