1 of 2
MAKO
Posted: 19 April 2006 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

From CRAIG Jimmy
I’m a bit hesitant about two things and maybe you can help.
#1- Is the Mako worth getting? It looks so different than anything out there, but what I’m using can’t keep up with the speed of the Diablo.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is this board?
#2- 5th line. I’m at the point where I’m taking chances and I’m gonna drop the bar. On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is the 5th line at making a dropped kite a safe kite to relaunch?

I can’t beleive you guys are so close (OR) and nobody seems to know or give a f*%k about you here in Seattle. I thought my 2003 bronco was a good kite, Christ, this Diablo is rewiring my brain. I want to write a review on the local forum, but I don’t even beleive it yet. I need one more session to get things clear in my head.

Thanks for your time!
Craig in Seattle…............................................                                Hey Craig sounds like your pretty stoked with O.R. !!! I’ve been on the ‘Mako’ for 2 years. I honestly have not tried anything else since I got on it. Mako is like a slalom water ski…It NEVER looses an edge so ‘fear factor’ @ speed is a thing of the past. It’s narrow width & serious rocker also allows you to shift weight to your rear leg to control the kite. I’m 46 & love to cruise with equal weight on my front leg yet the Mako rarely pearls. ...... Fifth line I haven’t tried the Diablo yet but it’s fifth line ready. I’m a year into the fifth line on all my Broncos (9,12, 14) & can’t say enough about it. I still use a board leash. (not recommended of course) & never swim after my kite, just a little tug & flip over she goes. ..... P.S. Make sure you have a stopper on your side of the bar to prevent the leash from jamming in the hole, use a large enough ball (I use the orange one from an old punch out) so that it doesn’t act like a brake against your tube of line…..As well I secure my fifth line to a loop on my bar just in case my ‘donkey dick’ releases (or is not pushed through the bar !!!)...I saw a 14 m rig released on the weekend & it was not pretty. Fortunately a kiter on the beach pinned it (while flying his 9m one!) until the owner could swim in & grab it !!!...Jim

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 19 April 2006 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

Mako and taking the 5th

On a scale of 1 to 10, I’d give Jimmy an 9, and save the 1 for a can of red bull.  :wink:  Seriously though, I really think this mako is worth checking out. 
You only live once. The time that I manage to get away from my work and family to sail is too special to waste, so I think I’m going to order one of these boards and a 5th line kit. (getting a tax refund this year might be a factor too)
I have yet to be dissapointed by Ocean Rodeo stuff. Even though there are guy’s with “N” kites here in Seattle that hassel me over the name, the way this stuff performs over time in harsh Northwest conditions makes my precious time on the water a beautiful thing. I’ll keep you posted how it works for me.
craig 8)

Posted: 20 April 2006 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-01-20

Craig,

I would like to comment on price factor, primaily towards the concern of the mako.  Like anything, you get what you pay for, so what are you looking for?  I have been using ocean rodeo gear for 4 years and will say their products are pure quality.  So if you can pick up a board for $100. cheaper great, but if you put it side by side in action with the mako, there will be no comparison, especially in speed trials and turns, the mako just simply rules this area.

Signature 

Airtime, its all bout the airtime

Posted: 22 April 2006 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-04-21

I took the Mako out for the first time the other day and wasn’t feeling it.  Although I am a novice and used to bigger boards.  It did go fast, but I couldn’t keep up and would blow a tire.  I think will a little more use it’ll be good.  The thick rubber booties didn’t help either.

Signature 

Shaun

Posted: 22 April 2006 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Kitesurferdale :D ,
I’m a local window contractor, and grew up on a tugboat, so I know exactly what you are trying to convey when you talk about price. If you a pay a little more, sometimes you get something that is head and shoulders above everything else out there. The local retailer here in Seattle is all about low price, and has built a reputation on good gear cheap, so its no wonder he’s never bothered to try OR equipment or stock it. He can’t get past the price tag.
Thats OK. We all need to operate in our comfort zone so we feel good about what we are spending our hard earned money on. Maybe I made a mistake by ordering a Mako yesterday and I’ll hate it rolleyes , but the chances of that seem slim when after talking to guys with similar ability and experience here on this forum.
Really thats the beautiful thing about this sport, there are so many good choices out there now from many different super talented designers.
I don’t think you can find a bad design anymore, you just have to find the one thats right for you.
Its a great time to be alive and sailing. :wink:
Cheers!

Posted: 23 April 2006 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2006-01-20

I am almost 100% positive that you will not regret your descision to purchace the mako Craig.  Some people comment that you have to ride it with more weight on the front than the back, with that said, play with it because boy can that board hold major speed, and carve wicked turnes in the waves or chop and even better on butter smooth water.  It is a unique board shape so you will stand out, and when the other boys scoff, just dive the kite and blow past them :evil:

Signature 

Airtime, its all bout the airtime

Posted: 23 April 2006 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Kitesurferdale,
It was a great weekend for wind here in Seattle. I checked out the webcam at squamish and it looked good up there too. There are some really good kiters up there, kiteloops and fast turns, this webcam rocks! Hope you got some.
I used a Caution ML, concave, 6 fins, continuous rocker- a really good board but in choppy conditions you really have to weight the rear to keep from pearling. No board can really be fast when you ride it like this, so matching speed with this Diablo 14m was a constant issue, it just wants to punch hard into the edge of the window and fly fast. I’ve never flown a kite that loops so easily anywhere where you put it that doesn’t try to yank your arms out. If this Mako is as fast as you say it is, then its going to be a perfect match, like a brunette with a nose ring, and a tatoo.
I’ll let you know if I can handle her, I mean, it. :twisted:

Posted: 27 April 2006 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Looking fwd. to hearing about how you make out on your MAKO Craig. I think you will find it to be what you were looking for.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2006 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

No board yet, maybe tommorow. Where do you like to attach your leash master jimmey?
The wind came up in classic form at the park today, complete with that upper layer of pressure that lets you hang a second or two more. I had to watch my 2 year old and give the wife a break, but helped the 5 kiters that did go out, get off the beach safely at high tide. Kite karma was in the air. It was a great show, little Max and everyone on shore was digging it. Later, when I put him to bed he said his first complete sentence to me “I love carkeek beach”
It kinda choked me up.

Posted: 30 April 2006 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Wow…When the wind comes up I usually forget I have kids ! I added a loop of webbing from some old gear to my oversized fin bolt. Burn holes through the webbing with a sodering iron. Though I sure was tempted to tell you I attach my board to my FEET !!! Make sure that the load on your leash doesn’t back off or strip the bolt. Sounds like a dodgy launch yesterday !

Signature 

Posted: 07 May 2006 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-01-09

Hey Craig, I also ride a Mako. I’ve had it for a couple years now. I’ll agree with everything Jimmy Lewis and Kitesurferdale have said. I’ll also add two points. (1) I find both good low wind performance and high wind performance in this one board. It will get on a plane and go up-wind in light wind (10-12 kts), and it will still feel comfortable in higher winds (27-28 kts). (2) I find the ride is smooth and much easier on my knees and feet than other boards I’ve tried.

Joe

Signature 

Is It Windy Yet?

Posted: 10 May 2006 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-01-10

the mako is a weapon, a lot of my friends shappers are coppying it to ride waves, the concave, the flex and the width make it a gun…

those who don’t agree need to change sport and play pétanque..;

Posted: 15 May 2006 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

a blue mako captured in seattle

:shock:  :shock: A blue mako was spotted in Seattle! Fortunately I was there to safely capture the slender beast before anyone got hurt. Then I hauled it home for a closer inspection. Wow, don’t drop this board on your bare toes. That was my first thought, my second was-that is one hell of a concave! I last time I saw curves like this I fell in love… :oops:

Putting the board together took about 15 or 20 minutes, easy and basic. I noticed there are instructions at the site if you are uncertain about orientations. ( I peeked at them)
I’ve ain’t never seen a board like this before Jeffro, the finish a 10. Excellent seams and graphics. The rails are awesome- with an mini extruded ski type edge in the waist, right between my hairy legs. I don’t know how else to describe it, there is just very carefull attention by the designer in the rail shape in this area. The deck is extra grippy here too. One fin on each end, thats all there is to drag against.  The fin looks like the high speed dorsel of a marine mammal. I’ve seen this shape before, it resists cavitation, and remains hydrophillic at high speeds.
The pads are not too cushy, I like that. The footstraps are lite and kind of cool, with an adjustable strap across the top.  The grab handle is lite and stiff with out being a bruiser. Blue mako seems like a freindly girl, when she’s dry that is. We’ll see what she can really do when I throw her ass in Puget Sound and go for a joy ride. :wink:

I think blue mako can sleep inside tonite

Posted: 17 May 2006 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Sounds like your overdue for some wind !!!

Signature 

Posted: 19 May 2006 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

Yes, overdue for wind I is.  Or was - it came up at Carkeek yesterday!
Classic conditions, 14 to 16 knots with an incoming tide. Tough to stay upwind for beginers, advanced sailors only. The only kite and board with me was the 14m Diablo and this virgin blue mako. I wasn’t sure if I could make it work.  Two other kiters were out on 16m o5’ Rhino’s.
Boy was I wrong! :oops:
This board and this kite were the perfect match, they both love speed.
I thought I knew what a smooth ride was, but the mako destroyed that concept and replaced it with another- super smooth and fast. The concave alowed me to set me edge and use all of that traction to point high. I blew past those guys and set a course upwind to Boeing Creek, about 3 miles upwind. Half way there I got jump happy. The speed this board generates with its low drag design makes jumping a pure joy. I was able to get some decent 15 to 20 foot hangers in wind that normally I would be happy just to stay upwind in, I was very happy, so happy that I kept on jumping and slashing until I was back down the launch again. The mako can slash a turn two ways- deep and hard, or loose and waggy. Switching stance is as easy as a flat board- just spin it. I love how these foot straps are snug but still allow room to reposition your feet for the perfect stance without being elastic. Toe side riding?  This is the best design I’ve ever used, its slenderness is perfect for toe side.
Two hours later, when the wind dropped off, I came in and realized that I’d forgotten to attach my board leash. That a sure sign of a comfortable ride, I never felt like it would come off my feet or that I would loose control.
This is my new favorite board! I love blue mako!
Thanks Jimmy and you other mako riders for talking me into this, its the best move this sailor has ever made. :wink:
Yee Haw!

Posted: 21 May 2006 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Sooooooooooooo. Does that mean you like it Craig ?! I was waiting to hear your response..BUT, I think you should leave your board outside & go back to sleeping with your wife !!!

Signature 

1 of 2