6m Rise-whats your favorite settings?

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I’ve used this kite twice now, and its so incredibly fast!
What settings are the best on this kite…I just haven’t found that magic tune yet and its so powerful!
I’m a bit scared to try and jump this thing yet.
I let a friend try it today, he was riding a 10m Rhino 5 just before this,
he tried a down loop transition and ended up looping the kite twice before he hit the water! Scared the crap out of everyone on the beach cause he was teabagging and getting the full flush when he hit water!
He loved it, but was not used to the lite bar pressure.
I’m using a 50cm bar too. Is this bar just too big for this kite?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

just had my 6rise out for the second time 50cm bar,  moved the forward attachment point toward the centre of the kite. (setting 1), I assumed it was on setting 1 last week, never looked,  but did wonder why it turned hyperfast-setting 2.  So, yes both attachment points toward the centre was better for me.  \It takes getting used too but i love the little bugger, it jumps fine with your hands close and not being too aggressive (my neck is a bit sore from forgetting that)  it really moves, even on the “slow” turn, hd setting 1.  i would not even attempt setting 3….yikes.  A smaller bar?, yes probably help especially if you don’t use a small kite that much, and/or want more power on setting 2/3.  i will try one when they come in a few months.  In the meantime, it’s so fun to play with in the higher winds, but watch out, in has that apparent wind overdrive gear…

Signature

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

There’s a post somewhere where John Z is talking about making a smaller bar I think 45cm or something like that for the 6m, 4m and 2m kites.  :?

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

I was out on the 2008 6m Rise yesterday in 25 to 40+, (very gusty). I use the forward attachment for the back lines (slower turning), and rear attachment for the front lines,...however using the front attachment point on the front lines will also slow turning (while at the same time offering more bar pressure and potential depower).
I’ve also been using a proto 40 cm bar with 4m and 6m which reduces back line input. ( I will more than likely use the 40cm bar on the 8m as well.)

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thanks guys!
I think I’m going to modify a bar just for this kite.
Cut it down to 40cm, and reduce the length of the sheeting line so there is no chance of having the bar get out of arms length if I let go of the bar.
I totally love how it flies in high winds, I just need to dial it in more.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

That sounds cool I don’t know how the hell one could jump the 6m, I find the 10m fast as hell and was to scared to chuck on snow, will certainly have a go on the water, I’m too scared the thing will go to 3 or 4 o’clock when I throw it and snow hurts.

Jason :wink:

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Here is a review of the 6m Rise from a BKB rider.
Bellingham gets nukin winds all the time, and this kite seems to be the cream of high wind kites.

[quote author=“Zoffen”]Disclaimer…...I am associated with a shop that does sell Ocean Rodeo gear, but as a moral i like to tell it like I see it. I am an intermediat/ working for advanced rider with about 1 years kiting experience, however in this year i am an addict and get to kite alot, almost every ridable day here in b-ham i try to get out. To start out, people have talked about the construction on these kites and i agree, they ar bomber. Last summer at dogfish i was riding toward the shore when i saw a 10m rise launch and backstall (the 07 rise had a big backstalling problem, I personally did not like this kite at all, HOWEVER, the 08 bridle totally transformed this kite, the main difference, other than the vents was the bridle change) it then continued to do multiple loops SMASHING into the ground multiple times. For sure i thought this kite was toast, like mega toast. To my surprise and nearly everyone on the beach, all that happened was a 6 inch tear in the canopy and a few pinholes….i, among many others were amazed that this kite was not, as my buddies like to say DUN 4. Anyways, they’re built bomber. We got these kites here at the shop in the fall and being the one that unpacks each shipment, i naturally was one of the first ones on this kite. Andy and i did a back to back 8m test at westbeach, 8m thruster vs. 8m rise. I of course took the 8m thruster and immediatly meshed with it. I was reluctant to switch with andy but did and immediatly did not like the kite. It had good turning speed, depower, grunt, but the one thing it was lacking was a more moderate bar pressure/ feeling. A month later i tried the 8m again and still didn’t like it, once again, bar pressure, i couldn’t tell where the kite was. My feelings remained mixed on it as a kite for me. However, after teaching on them for a few months these kites rock. For a beginner this is THE kite. I’ve taught a few lessons with the 6, and i couldn’t have done it without these kites. So stable and predictible, relaunch is just as good as any other sle these days, good grunt, good depower. Still for a more advanced rider i had mixed feelings. Then all of a sudden i had a breakthrough. On monday, I was out teaching on a 6m again, when it picked up to 25+, which is not the greatest learning conditions so i scratched the lesson ( oh well :D) and went out for a session. This is when things started coming together and my feelings on the kites took a giant 180. 150lb rider(on a good day), 127 skywalker pro, 24m lines, 6m rise, this was my setup of choice for the day and boy oh boy was it right on the money. By the time i got out it was blowing 25+ gusting to mid 30’s or more at times. LIT LIT LIT LIT. I finally figured out how to jump this machine and all i can say is that this kite goes HUGE. edge, send, sheet, and you are in the stratosphere….I don’t like to claim but i had a bunch of boosts that were 30+ feet and few that were a few feet more. When you start getting this big its all about timing and knowing where your kite is. Send it hard and bring a giant downloop, and if your timing is right, you land budda soft going the other direction. There were a few times, 25 ft. in the air i felt like i might drop like a rock but instead the kite just drifted nicely and even the botched jumps put me down softly. I had mixed feelings about the low bar pressure but after getting used to it you can feel the feedback and where the kite was in the air. There were some gusts where even though you have your 100% depower BS, you still have 6m of fabric connected to you in 35+ knots, however, no jellyfishing, no weird quirks, nothing. Predictable, stable, and most of all i felt SAFE on this kite in nuclear up and down conditions. Being a year round kiter in bellingham, we have alot of storms rolling through in the winter with many super gusty 30+ winds. With other kites i would go out and maybe send it a little bit but never really felt comfortable to push my limits. With the rise i was looping the kite with relativly little fear.  Overall if anyone is looking for a safe predictable kite for conditions from steady light summer winds to nuclear winter gusty storms, I feel for 80% of the riders out there this kite is what your looking for. I know that i will be getting a 6m rise for my storm kite. Its an amazing feeling when you and your kite become one and send you to the moon. Give me a few more sessions on this bad dog and i might, just might, if i wish and hope and try my hardest, fly as high as the gator, but who knows, i might die in the process…. :twisted:  :twisted: If anyone wants to try a rise give craig a call, he’ll have nothing but good things to say about the kite, and if in the HAM area give me a call (360-298-1363) to try these bad dogs out. Disclaimer again, i work for a shop, but yet again i call it like i see it, and i see a nice crispy new 6m rise in my future.

Here is Daniel Stoners account of the incident that led to him getting worked by the 6m Rise. This was his 1st experience with an OR kite.
He had just came in from flying his Rhino5 10m, a bit too powered.

[quote author=“DanielStoner”]Thanks to Craig, I got a chance to demo the 6m Rise today at RB.  Definitely a fast, fun kite.  Three things I observed:

First, minimal bar pressure and small, fast kites do not mix well.  I could never tell where the kite was from bar-pressure feedback.  I learned the hard way when I tried a very casual downloop transition and took my eyes off the kite for a split-second.  I apparently pulled too hard and didn’t notice in time and proceeded to get yarded.  I untwisted my lines and relaunched very quickly (Craig, you are right: that thing practically relaunches itself!), but the minimal bar pressure vs. reaction time on a small kite makes it tougher to judge the steering…(IMO).

Second, that bar setup has a ridiculous (too much, IMO) amount of throw…I don’t fly 4-line kites, so maybe this is not just unique to OR.  It’s got a stopper ball, but I didn’t check it before I relaunched on the beach (it was all the way out; which has got to be three feet or more from the chicken loop.  I’ve got long arms and I couldn’t reach it hooked in.)  I realized I didn’t pull it in when I let go of the bar to grab my board that had slipped out of my left hand.  Instead of stopping, the bar travelled all the way up the line (considerably out of my reach).  The kite fell out and crashed along the rocks / lumber.  Which brings me to point Three:

This sucker is bomber proof.  I was pretty sure I had just bought that kite when I saw it crash.  Craig reported it was just fine.

A smaller bar (40cm) would certainly help slow it down, and perhaps give the rider a little more feedback.  If so, it would be an even more wicked-fun kite to ride.

Thanks again, Craig, for letting me take it for a spin—or should I say multiple loops!

Daniel

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-17

PM

Owkee, now I’m realy hoping for some serious wind. I have a 6m and 10m rise ‘08. But until now I just had sessions with my 10m. It is just perfect for almost all winds. Maybe the Rise 10m is the new One 8)
I’m realy fond of very fast kites, so as soon as there is a 20+ wind blowing I will trie the 6m (allthough the 10m is still an option :D )
Senx for all the info!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

[quote author=“jorrit”]Maybe the Rise 10m is the new One 8)

Funny, the office staff all fly the 10m as their #1 kite. Ross doesn’t even have any other size…he just changes the board he’s using.

Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

Hey, I’ve been riding my 6m in lighter winds with a surfboard, and I actually really like it on the full back settings - least bar pressure, fastest turning.  It felt so fast I went for a double kiteloop the other day, but it didn’t end well.  smile  A bit too much power after all.  I use the 50 cm bar, but I ride one handed almost exclusively.

It’s funny, but I can ride that 6 down to about 20 knots easily, you just loop it to waterstart, and then you’re off.  It makes everything else feel slow in comparison though.  When it’s windy, I send my girlfriend out on the 8m with the Mako Pro, and then I’ll take the 6 and a surfboard.

Wade