Still not having any luck getting in pics up (any ideas anyone)? So i’ll try and write it as a guide.
Ok, here is part 1 - (Reduce bar pressure - increase low end).
Nothing revolutionary and simple to do. It assumes you have some knowledge of how to set up a kite. The kite I modified was a 12m ONE -2006 (tried to find out if the 07’s have the same bridle, but no luck so far, but the OR guys are getting back to me).
I have tried to use as much of the original bridle as I could. Sorry you will need 2 extra pulleys and some bridle line. There will be some original lines left over, which you could use for extensions, to reduce the amount of extra line you need.
Instructions are given as descriptors so that hopefully it will be just as easy for a 9m to mod as a 16m (but please keep in mind I have only tried this on the 12m (but see no reason while the other sizes wont work).
I have about 20 different mods but I need more test time to decide the best. Might post them as well (more testers might speed up this process). Each mod gives a slightly different outcome. Hope I get the pics working.
So first off, the easiest, and focused on bar pressure. This might be all that is needed in the smaller sizes if they already turn ok?
Exchange the following lines on the bridle (will need to undo bridle- soaking knots in warm water helps):
Replace A with C
Now place E in old C position
B and D remain unchanged
Add a new long line with a pulley running along it. Attach one end to the D/E junction, the other to where the old F spot use to attach to the leading edge.
The length of this line should be as long as you can without the puley going past the wingtip (ie so it will never get caught around the tip) come back at least 10 centimeters to allow for stretching.
*note chek this length when inflated as the kite will become ‘skinnier’ when inflated.
Now add the F line to the bottom of the pulley and attach to H.
At this point you may need to add extension pieces to lines H and I until the front and rear bridle lenghts are even when everything is taught throughout the bridle.
I simply added small lines with knots every few centimters at the H/I junction area. This is especially helpful with ‘I’as you can easily shorten or lengthen to adjust to your bar feedback/ turning speed here.
If it is stalling, increase the length at ‘I’ (drop it down a knot). Shorten if the steering is vague/slow.
To adjust turning speed I’ll explain in my next mod. This should increase turning a little anyway, and hopefully improve relaunch.
I will try and get pictures up explaining, especially the equal line length part, unless someone else has a good description .Just make sure they are all equal when pulled tight. Luckily the OR bar allows ahuge adjustment of line length at the bar, so pull in some front line (depower strap) to start with just in case your line lengths are out. Then let out accordingly.
P.S. i would love some feedback to see what people think (or any improvements). ENJOY.