1 of 3
Has anyone tried a direct rear line on the One?
Posted: 11 February 2008 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I was flying the 07’ 9m One the other day, and couldn’t help compare it to the Rise which I have been flying most of the time now.
I was wondering if its worth trying a direct rear line to the kite, like the Rise.
This mod sure changed how the Rise performed, lite bar pressure, a shortened sheeting throw, and fast turning.
Can this work with the One? :?:

I’d like to give it a try.
Overall, the 07’ is a much better performer than the 06’ with the original bridal. More low end and not so quick to de-power too. This kite really shines when you bear off and carve some waves. Marvelous!

Posted: 12 February 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

I’ve been wondering the same thing Craig ... I still have 9 & 12 one’s. The bar pressure on the 12 is far more than my 14 rise !!! The 9 is sweet ... So quick & handling stays the same no matter how much depower is applied.

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 27 February 2008 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

I flew the 9m One with direct rear lines today, in winds about 10 to 12 mph. It actually launched quite nicely, and responded to the control bar input, seemed to power-up the traction dramatically when I swept it through a power stroke…but it also had a tendency to stall at the edge of the window.
I think if I move the pulley from the kite to the front line attachment point, and allow that point to ride towards the center of the bridal like the Rise, its going to keep it from locking in to that mode.
I’ll give that a try next. 8)

Posted: 05 March 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

I’ve got it to work well in lite winds…10 kts.
Abandoned the pulley attachment completely, ran the front lines off the inner bridal with a pulley on the bridal like the rise, and put the rear lines right on the kite with about an 8” pig tail.
No stalling at the edge, good response to rear line pressure and it seems to fly without any distortion.
Now I just have to wait for some decent winds to see if it works on the water.
I’ll post some pics of the mod when I get it perfect.

Posted: 11 April 2008 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

glad you had more luck than i did playing with it :D

my 5 line one was NOT fun.

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-11-03

So I’m guessing since the RISE got a direct rear line mod (as listed in these forums), we should be able to do the same for the ONE??

Posted: 09 November 2008 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-24

I can’t recommend this mod because it changes the kite to something perhaps only an advanced rider can handle.
Turns faster yes, but it also lets the kite wander if you slack the rear lines too much and the power is more on/off.
No change in the range at all, just more work for your arms.

Posted: 10 November 2008 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Yeah I’ve experimented with the same. Similar result. I’m thinking of re-attaching the rear pulley system with the addition of the front pulley line (to give a 2:1 (or close to) depower set-up - otherwise you need a massive bar to turn it). Going to try similar to the Monkey kites bridle mod.
I’m guessing the only way to get the bar pressure down is to sadly add new bridle attachment points so that more tension is distributed to the front lines, ie the front last point of tension of the front line bridle needs to be lower.
Or in other words…the Rise!!

Posted: 19 July 2009 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Success!! Got the One flying quite nicely…and it’s an 06 Original. Made all the bridles from scratch as I think the original setup was well dated. Basically set up the front bridles using pulleys to autoregulate. Amazing change in bar pressure nice and light. But still turned slow.

Played with the rear bridle, disconected the front line connection, no longer use the pulley. After many different ideas I eventually used a rear Y bridle setup. A simple direct connect rear line was too twitchy.

End result the One is light on the bar, direct feel turning as there is no rear pulley, now has low end power, turns much faster (finally can kiteloop my 12 One), couldn’t make it stall (yes, no more hindenburgs - even tried to make it do it, couldn’t), even unhooks well (did I mention it doesn’t stall!) and the real bonus is it’s upwind and jumping ability.

I was going to sew new attachment points, but got by using V’s on the existing points. Still not as fast turning as the Rise, but the grunt, upwind ability and jumps are probably as good as any, if not the best due to its flat profile.
If anyone wants measurement info let me know.

You OR guys probably already know this, hope you don’t mine me tinkering with the old girl.

P.S. Test conditions were gusty 15-28 knots (about as bad as it gets, so I’m quite happy)

Posted: 19 July 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2006-05-23

Photos please!!!!

Posted: 19 July 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Excellent work Wisha! Yeah, let us have some photos and or diagrams of your work!
This is just what these forums are for man. Can you imagine all these top notch canopies laying around gathering dust over an outdated bridle… It might also work for turbodiesels, big old cabrinhas and shockwaves.

Posted: 20 July 2009 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2008-05-13

I would also like to know all te details about what you did to your 2006 ONE12. A friend has the same kite and we would like to try out your settings.
Thank you!
Jaros

Posted: 20 July 2009 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Inetersted here as I still have my old 2006 9m. Got a hole in it but may well be worth a play aorund. had some great times on that kite.

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 20 July 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

I will try to get some pics up as soon as I can (currently it looks like a prototype mess as the lines have knots everywhere so I could try different things). Now I know how you design guys must feel, so many options to change, but still envious of your job…which I should get back too.

P.S. Currently trying to utilise the existing bridle lines in a different configuration so it will be an easier mod with little or nothing extra required. I’ll get a photo up asap so you can at least see the concept.

Sorry I don’t have a 9m so I wont be able to give exact measurements. However, I think the 9m would benefit the most as it would have much better turning speed potential. Will be easy enough to work out.

Posted: 21 July 2009 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Sorry but I can’t get the diagram up. It is only a 50KB JPG?? I tried to reduce the number of pixels to 400x570,  but it keeps getting rejected??

Posted: 22 July 2009 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2006-05-30

Good on ya, Wisha. Keep trying to get a picture or diagram into this thread. I’m sure there are a fair number of the Crew interested.  I’ve still got a 12m One that needs a new bridle, would be awesome if it boosted performance.

Thanks !

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

1 of 3