mako wide reviews

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I hear that Port Rowan has a nice pier that picks up some wind swell and lets it peel really nicely. It also has a really nice looking sand bar to kite in the lee of…looked awesome when I was last there. Tobacco country!

(It is very close to Tillsonburg, of Stopin’ Tom fame).

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Anybody wanna buy my Mako 150X34?
I need to buy the wide.

Kirk LOL

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Hi Kirk ...

Do you have a Danish friend named Yarnie who is in Thailand doing some kite instructing ?

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2008-02-06

PM

I’ve got a litewave 179 for light air , how would you compare the wide to the litewave , anyone tried both? :?:

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

[quote author=“buzzz”]Hi Kirk ...

Do you have a Danish friend named Yarnie who is in Thailand doing some kite instructing ?

Nope
Where in Thailand does he teach? I have been in Hua Hin.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

He teaches out of the Blue Lagoon kite-school in Pattaya…

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

After years of freestyle cruising on my MAKO I tried the wide (40cm) board & this new board is a keeper ... Puffy winds with a moderate swell & I was cruising through lulls & edging with a big grin on my face ... I was also happy with my new 10 RISE in 12 - 22 knots ... Just sine the kite in the lulls & let the good times roll ...  8)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

Does anyone know if the mako wide will fit in an NSI golf bag? The bag says it is 147…so I was hoping it would fit. I am still trying to decide between the wide and the 134 freestyle…and it would be nice to fit the board into my golf bag.

Any comparisons on the wide and the freesytyle would be much appreciated.

David

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

[quote author=“Dave”]Does anyone know if the mako wide will fit in an NSI golf bag? The bag says it is 147…so I was hoping it would fit. I am still trying to decide between the wide and the 134 freestyle…and it would be nice to fit the board into my golf bag.

Any comparisons on the wide and the freesytyle would be much appreciated.

David

David,

I have an NSI deciever bag and the Mako 150 and Mako 150 wides both just fit into the bag. You need to put them in top first and then foot in order to get them in but they do fit.

Comparisons between the 150 wide and the 134:

- 150 wide is more flexible and a smoother ride
- 134 has less swing weight and is better for “new school” tricks as a result
- I like the 150 because it has less nose spray when riding and it is a very “cushy” board to ride, it absorbs all the bumps on the road.
- For me, my back ground is snowboarding before I came to kiting, I like the 150 wide the best of all 3 versions of Mako as it feels the most like a snowboard. I can get on my back foot when going slow to really plow it upwind and at higher speeds I can drive my weight farther forward for stability at speed and a more confident position to jump from.

Cheers!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 108

Joined 2007-01-24

PM

Sweet…thanks for the info. I think I would be stoked with either, but the Wide might be more suited for all-around conditions.

David

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Do you think a Mako will ever win an open water kite course race in the future? I mean it sounds like the 150 series have what it takes: Speed, upwind ability, chop eater, reduced fatigue when riding.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Yes….the Mako Wide will be raced by a couple of team riders in the Bay area this summer. It goes straight upwind, blasts through holes and off the wind, and will not pearl. :shock:

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales