Punch out device question.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Mr. Ocean Rodeo dude man bro guy,

That “zap” strap broke on the bottom of my punch out unit after about 6 hours of hardcore, overpowered sailing.  It seems like a regular zip tie. Can I replace it with something stronger, or is it supposed to break away?
I love this bar, it has excellent balance and finish, and really good leverage on any kite you use it with. The spinning shicken loop/safety strap is so easy to use…looping the kite and unspinning the bar is a breeze and totally safe from safety line tangles. My other bars suck.

Thanks! 8)

craig

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Punch out part 2

Well, I used a regular plastic zip tie, along with the tube spacer to tie the bottom of the shock unit together and used the bar again today at Richmond beach during a storm. The winds were 20 to 35kts, and I was using a 14m diablo for the first time. 35kts and below this kite was very controllable, which was a very nice surprise. I love how this kite flies when you have a lot of depower. It still turns very well and has easy bar pressure. The jumps kind of scared me, I’m not used to getting this high,
its pretty amazing. After 2 hours I was close to shore and got caught in squall with a lot of updraft. It hit so hard it popped the panels of the kite like a drum! I decided I’d had enough and tried the punch out safety for the first time, wondering if it would work, mentally preparing myself to detach completely, which means visualizing the 2nd safety.
Wow! Not having to take your hands off the bar and simply pushing the bar away from you to engage the safety was beautiful thing!
It was so painless, and just like that, the kite is layed out flat and I get to sail another day.
I think punch out device can sleep inside tonite.
nite nite :wink:
craig

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

You can replace it with any zap strap to fix the problem but if you ride overpowered alot it will likely happen again.  I ride powered most of the time and some tricks, where the kite loops through the power zone, make it nearly impossible to hold the bar in and the pull from the kite will force the bar into the punch-out and your session will be over - again.  I had it happen twice and finally just removed the punch-out altogether.  Easy to do and gives you another option rather than having to worry about it popping on you again.  I am not recommending everyone do this, only if you are confident enough that you will reach the quick release if something does go wrong.  Once it is removed you will have to manually release yourself from the kite.  Do it at your own risk.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Punch out options

Wadem,
Thanks for the insight on the nature of the punch out device!  I do love riding powered, and I am doing kite loops more each time I go out but I rarely ride unhooked.  I’m curious whether you can use the punch out with a 5th line. One of the local riders, Steve, is really pushing me to go with a 5th line to make a dropped kite safer to re-launch.
Is any one using this set up?

craig

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hi guys.

Mike, thanks for helping Craig out with the advice.

Craig, Mike is right. Conventional zap straps can fail - especially when under a heavy load. If you like we can help you source stronger zap straps or you can ask at your local hardware store. I have heard that you can even get metal ties that will be stronger than the plastic ones we ship the bars with.

I can tell you that we are looking into our own solution for the problem too. One option we are exploring is tieing the shock cover closed with spectra line.

Good luck,

John

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Of course the ‘Punch out’ is compatable with ALL O.R. add ons. Remember to adjust the ‘battens’ in the punch out tensioner by removing/adding as required to ensure you only ‘Punch out’ when you intend to & TEST your punch out by using it @ the end of your session. RESET your punchout before you put away your gear. (don’t forget to slide the piece under the cover down towards your chicken loop or you may ‘punch out’ prematurely !!!)

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

loop release

just got back from the beach. tried to solo launch in unstable conditions that were much worse than I thought. I’m guessing 20 degree wind shifts and gusts to 30. I was lofted immediately and landed between log piles. no time for the punch out- I felt for the padding at the chicken loop and yanked at the safety. worked perfectly! no tension from the loop against the hook because the loop stays with you. microsecond 100% depower-sweet design. way better than the system I was using before because it was easy to find by touch without looking. my new diablo 14m came down hard on all sorts of nasty crap, I was worried. but after looking it over, the thing still looks fricken brand new and seems ready for more abuse if this stupid sailor desperate for a session f*#ks up again. :oops:
thank you God!

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi,

I’ve done the same mod on all my bars as I had quite a few zip ties break (I think they are more brittle in colder weather). I’ve threaded a few loops of spectra where the zip tie should be and it’s perfect, not pretty but it sure works.

As for it popping under load, try a few extra carbon battons before ditching the punch out for good, you never know when you’ll thank it for saving your butt. We’ve got a rider with four battons on each side and it’s good for him and he’s a loon (Hello Lester!).

Mail JohnZ about getting more battons.

Iain

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

That is excellent advice, ad more battens. :wink:  I also decided to use spectra in place of the zip tie and its working very good. I also like how there seems to be no wear at all on my depower loop line. Having the thing encased in pvc is the way to go, it should last a lot longer than raw line.
I am going to sail in the UK someday, the water there looks awesome and I’ve heard the beer is quite good. :D