I’m jacked off with OR gear

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2007-08-04

PM

Before I sledge OR, I would like to be given an email address that works. In fairness I’d prefer to hear what someone has to say from OR about some of the issues I’ve had, I’m truly fed up. I’ve tried all the emails provided on the website, with reply telling of failed message.

We are in at the peak of our kiting season, I’m more than likely off the water for a month unless I fork out money for a different brand bar and lines. So you can imagine how pee’d I am.

Signature

Quiver:8 & 12m 07 Rise.
“Go hard or go home”

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Maybe one of us can help.
Whats kind of bar and lines problem are you having?

Joined 2007-08-04

PM

Here goes, First one of my bar ends Snapped. Replaced them with some slingshots off some old gear. Then the ball on my front lines at the Y broke with a undesirable result of an out of control kite, lucky only about 15 knots that day. So some more Mcgeyvor fixing, with an old OSH handle with ring fixed that. Then the rope that goes through the chicken loop to the cleat snapped, so some decent rope and a few knots to the ring on the chicken loop sorted that. Then today I realised that all I’ve been kiting with is the plastic tube and stitching. When that finally snapped on me today in head high onshore slop, which was fine. Yesterday in 25knots, double overhead, 700m out from shore, and cliff faces downwind it would’ve been a different story.

Shall I mention I’ve had to replace the bladder in my 8m and 12m already due to faulty valves.

Look I think they are great kites, maybe for lighter riders or something. I’m 95kgs and fly powered in strong winds the equipment just doesn’t seem up to it. I forked out considerable money for 2 new kites, only 5 months ago. I’m now thinking I should have held out for the rev’s. I’ve got photo’s of all the fault’s experienced. The reason I’ve fixed them as I go is to my location, I’d be out the water for months waiting for replacements. The bladders, the dealer fixed as he ordered spares.

Signature

“Go hard or go home”

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I broke the black stopper ball yesterday on my 12m Rise, same result kite spinning out of control, don’t know if it’s a fluke but maybe something worth looking into, does anyone know where we can get another one.  It broke at the same place on the center line, is there any reason why we need one there seems like there’s no purpose for it.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Sorry to hear about the bar problems.  Try calling direct to OR or email Kevin (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) or John Z (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) directly rather than the generic email address.  They will sort you out, I’m sure. 

Jason, regarding the black center line stopper ball…you can get replacements by contacting OR directly.  Technically you don’t need one to fly the kite- but this takes away the safety feature of being able to leash to a front line or use the front line as a form of Oh Sh*t handle.  I would recommend replacing it as it is can be a critical safety feature.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-07-11

PM

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time.  I weigh in about 105kg and push the gear hard.  Only problem I have had was the line sliding though the black ball on the center lines.  I have an extra kit that includes the ball and line to fix it..  If this is all you need, I can get it out to you if you are in a pinch…  It sounds like you having more problems though with your CL line and such…

Let me know if I can help…. I should have all the parts you’d need, but I know the crew is back in the office on Wednesday…

Thanks

Andy

http://www.bellinghamkiteboarding.com

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Waterbaby76,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with both the equipment and with the email addresses. The head office has been closed for the holidays since prior to Christmas and will reopen on Jan 2nd. Please email me directly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I will make sure that you are taken care of promptly by the appropriate person. If possible, please include photos with the email. I have not had any issues with my email over the Holidays but I suspect you likely did not send one to me.

Is sounds to me as if you have had some hard luck as we do have plenty of heavier riders charging hard on the gear. We well sort everything out for you.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Hey Waterbaby O.R. will take care of you, it must be a fluke as I’m 260lbs and gear holds up very well, O.R. warranty is next to none, you’ll be happy there gear really holds up, you must have gotten chinese friday afternoon kites.  Well good luck and be patient.

Jas

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Wow.
I’ve been outside drying my gear and inspecting all my balls
(1st dry day for a month here).
I’ve thinking of how I could help you,
and I am stoked to see the big players step in and tackle this one.
I was thinking that if the balls fail for you, a stainless ring might be a good re-trofit that would still let you flag out the kite off one front line.
Be carefull flagging an SLE on a back line, it’ll want to power up and spin very fast.

Joined 2007-08-04

PM

Thanks guy’s for the replies, I know that we are going to experience breakage in this sport, but yesterday just pushed me over the edge. I can no longer do a Mcgeyvor fix for this problem and we have wind for as far as the forecast can see. I will speak with my distributor and ask for a replacement bar and send all the photo’s off to Evan. Hopefully it can all be sort with minimal problems.

I purchased 07 kites right before the 08’s came out, maybe I did get a bad batch, who knows.

Maybe the R & D team can look into strengthening the ball arrangement and the chicken loop.

Sorry to those passionate OR flyer’s, I didn’t want to get on a forum before speaking with someone from OR. I just couldn’t get an email off without a failed sent message with the ones I tried, I now understand they have holidays as well LOL.

Cheers

Signature

“Go hard or go home”

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I know you have now read this before but I can add as a shop and dealer of several brands of kite we of course get warranty issues. Ocean Rodeo are by far the best . As you have found it is amazing how other dealers will jump in to help even though there is nothing in it for them. As to your weight take it from you are not heavy. Just unlucky.  But things could be worse you could be over here in our Pommy winter only 8 hours of light.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Waterbaby76,

JZ here, just back from 3 weeks off. The office has been closed from the 23rd until today as well, so I am very sorry that you were unable to get through to us and the timing of your issues.

PLease contact West OZ Kiteboarding for a free bar and line set. I will email them directly now to tell them we will place a credit on their account to compensate for the replacement. Please do forward (if you have not yet…I have 300 emails to deal with) to either Kevin or I a copy of the email with the photos of the damage…we need this for tax credit time!

I am sorry that this has happened but can tell you that we do not expect a repeat. Here are some tips / updates on what you can do and what we have done to avoid these issues:

1) We have updated our 2008 bar and lines to include 650lb lines, not the old 500lb
2) We had issues late last year with a number of 2007 bars allowing the knot in the black front line stopper ball to pull through. This was a total surprise to us and resulted from China taking things less seriously than we do. We did replace all the stoppers we found to be errant but there were still some that slipped through. We also did a large press release and forum posting at the time. Anyway, this is no longer an issue and we have recently decided to go away from the stopper ball all together and to use a ring to ring connection to ensure this will not happen in the future. Flagging an SLE kite off of a back line is no bueno, so we need to make available a front line re-ride option for beginners and for experts who need to pull the oh sh!t handle in a tough spot
3) Nothing can prevent sand from getting into kit, it ends up everywhere. We strongly recommend that if you are riding in sandy spots you rinse your gear carefully after each session and pay special attention to the trim line and the chicken loop. Sand will work into the chicken loop and will gradually chafe the inner rope to nothing. If this is a concern of yours we can provide replacement chicken loops for $30 that would be a good thing to replace every 6 months. The trim line is easier to see when it is approaching failure and can be replaced for $15.

I hope that this helps…I truly hope that you get a chance to ride the Revs as you will find, with a new bar and line set, the Rise is a beautiful kite!

Also, finally, if you have an 07 Rise did you yet update the bridle to the 2008 set-up? It is a very good thing to do. Much less bar pressure and a more direct feel on the steering lines. Please contact us if you need the replacement kit for this too…it takes roughly 5 minutes to update.

John

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

John I guess I had one of the bars as the stopper ball broke of the knot pull through I think the latter after your message.  Do you have some of those steel rings available if not what dimension is it so I can find one here at a hardware store other then that the kite is awesome we got a crap load of snow here awesome.

Jason

Signature

Joined 2007-08-04

PM

OK, To start I would like to say a big thanks to Kev and John for such a quick response to my issues. I would also like to thank West Oz Kiteboarding for helping me through with solutions and keeping me on the water until my latest problem.

From what you have said about the 08 bars it sounds like all the issues I have experienced have been addressed and should be a big improvement on the 07 which I have. Please don’t be mistaken though, my gear is not a year old. I purchased them as the 08 kites where being released. So they are still under 5 months old.

I never intended to have a bitch initially, as I would rather sort it out privately. Also please don’t get me wrong, I like the kites performance and have written up a review of the kite in Australia’s biggest forum http://www.seabreeze.com. I’ve given numerous trusted people a fly, which may be part of the reason the kites are popping up around our local spots. They do sell themselves I think.

Anyhow thanks again

Signature

“Go hard or go home”

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Glad to help Waterbaby76, I am sorry about the issues you have had but am glad to help you out to get things going again.

Jason, we actually are still using the black stopper balls. I do have replacement balls that I can send to you that are guarenteed not to pull through the ring but none of the ring to ring connections as of yet.  That system we are looking to implement for 2009. Let me know if you want to get one of the replacement balls and leader line sets.

John

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Yes John I would need one then, I’m using my 60 cm bar with the 12m, I just bought a 10m Rise on E-bay from you guys, so you maybe able to put in that shipping also.  Here’s my address:

810 Dover Rd
Dieppe, NB
E1A 7M4

Signature